CALL FOR ADOLESCENTS/YOUTHS/YOUNG ADULTS MANAGING A SERIOUS ILLNESS TO SHARE YOUR LIVED EXPERIENCE SURROUNDING PACP
Canuck Place Children’s Hospice (CPCH) is seeking adolescents/youths/young adults managing a serious illness in British Columbia who are open to sharing their experience with Pediatric Advance Care Planning (pACP). This opportunity will invite you to share your lived experience surrounding pACP facilitated by Young Adult Engagement Advisor with lived experience and a counsellor from CPCH with a practice focus on supporting the adolescent/youth/young adult voice.
We recognize adolescents/youths/young adults across BC come with a variety of experiences and all voices are valued. CPCH will provide a safe, confidential and supportive online space for you to share your experience of pACP through:
- Allowing for the expression of feelings without fear of judgment
- Providing peer support through young adult engagement advisor facilitation and CPCH counsellor
- Offering an opportunity to meet adolescents/youths/young adults across BC who receive/have received, pediatric advance care planning services.
- Maintaining a safe space that does not identify individuals which adolescent/youth/young adults can share as much as they chose to about their experiences
- Offering opportunity to debrief and access follow-up support if identified following the session.
In addition, we hope to have representation of the following:
- You may also be a person who identifies as Indigenous or represents diverse cultural or social backgrounds in British Columbia
- You may also be a person with neurological developmental diversity and a serious illness
- You may also be living with a condition with an uncertain future
- You may have experience receiving pediatric palliative care
Goals of the opportunity are:
- To explore, listen and understand the experiences, issues and needs of adolescents/youths/young adults surrounding pACP.
- To develop an understanding of how best to have these conversations with you.
- To integrate your unique perspective and expertise of living with a serious illness.
For participation, you need access to a computer and knowledge of the Zoom platform, as well as be able to commit to a two-hour virtual session.
Dates for the session are:
- Monday October 23 | 4–6 p.m. PST
- Thursday October 26 | 4–6 p.m. PST
We hope to engage adolescents/youths/young adults who represent different experiences, care populations and demographics. If interested in participating in this opportunity or you wish to learn more about this engagement session, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday October 20th, 2023. We look forward to hearing from you – your voice matters!
Please note: To participate, you need access to a computer and familiarity with Zoom. Additionally, your commitment to a two-hour virtual session is required.
If you are a family member interested in this opportunity and sharing your perspective of supporting your child/youth/young adult with a serious illness, please see our family partner engagement opportunity. If you are a sibling of a child/youth/young adult with a lived/living experience of a serious illness and pACP, please see our sibling engagement opportunity.