Our commitment to accessibility
Canuck Place Children’s Hospice is committed to accessibility for our staff, volunteers, patients and their families. Our programs for children and families support the removal of barriers, seek adaptive solutions, and collaborative independence for accessibility. A significant portion of our patient base have mobility challenges and our Abbotsford hospice is purpose-built and our Vancouver hospice is retrofitted.
The organization committed to continually ensuring all of our communications are accessible for people of all abilities. We strive to ensure canuckplace.org is Web Content Accessibility Guidelines WCAG 2.1 AA compliant by partnering with website accessibility consultants to create an inclusive digital experience for users. We inspect and test changes to our platform prior to implementation.
Our commitment to accessibility is ongoing and we welcome feedback. If you have suggestions for improvements to the accessibility of any of our communications or to make an accessibility request for a particular item on our website or in other material, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Distinction and awards
- Offer interpreting services and materials to children and families
- Completed audit of policies and procedures with the National Institute of Disability Management and Research (2021)
- The People & Culture team are currently completing the Disability Management Practitioner Program and Effective Workplace Responses to Mental health Certificate Program through the Pacific Coast University for Workplace Health Sciences
- We are proud members of the Presidents Group – Community of Accessible Employers and participate in Pledge to Measure as part of our continuous commitment to improvement
- Continuously review maximization of accessibility in our workspace design
- Conduct diversity, equity and inclusion employee surveys
- Offer a suite of training for all staff including respectful workplace, unconscious bias, and inclusive leadership. Mental Health First Aid and Mindful Leader certifications.
- Ensure that staff have a comprehensive range of benefits to meet their needs
- All staff committees focused on: Diversity, Inclusion, Equity and Belonging, Truth and Reconciliation, Wellness
Recruitment and hiring
- Completed an audit of recruitment and hiring practices (2021) through Veza Global
- We continue to develop policies and tools to remove potential barriers and enrich our best practices in the recruitment, orientation, and retention of people of all abilities.